Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup

It's been awhile since I posted a recipe so here's one I made this weekend. I would give it 2 thumbs up although I did deviate a little, my comments are in blue.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 packages chicken tenders, 1 1/2 -2 pounds (just used chicken breasts and chopped them up)
1 tablespoon coriander, (a palmful)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, (5-6 sprigs) (used dried instead)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (I never cook with salt because I don't like it)
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced (I can't so heat so I left this out and used a pablano instead)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 quart chicken stock
1 bag white corn tortilla chips
1 cup shredded pepper Jack or sharp white cheddar
1 ripe avocado, diced (couldn't find a good one so we did without)
1 lime, juiced
4 scallions, chopped
Handful fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped

Preparation
Heat a large skillet with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add coriander, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through.

While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls (I prefer mine on top so their still crunchy). You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions and cilantro or parsley. (I did soup, then cheese, then cilantro and scallions, then chips)

No comments: