Wednesday, December 12, 2007

By Request

Now I have never used a crockpot although I know many people that do. They were just never a huge thing in my family so I don't have many recipes for them. But yesterday we had soemthing for dinner that could definatly be made in a crock pot and it's very yummy.

Buy a bag of black beans and some smoked pork chops (this will also work with ham).

Put black beans and pork chops in the crock pot with some minced garlic, oninons, a bay leaf (dried for fresh) and pepper. I guess you could add salt but I don't like salt so I don't cook with it. I also only use fresh ground pepper but that's just me. I didn't even like pepper for the longest time big I digress.

Add water because the black beans need something to soak up. Then just let it cook. If I was making this in the oven I would add enough water to cover the beans. Yesterday it cooked for about 4 hours at 350 and turned out great. I'm sure you can cook it on low all day in the crock pot and it would be fabulous as well.

This is not an orignal recipe, my dad made it a couple years ago and we've had it a few times since when we have the time to slow cook it.

Yesterday I had a pound of both the pork and beans and we have left overs so think how that would equate to your family, we have 3.

Now for leftovers, this is the best part.

Take the beans and heat them up either on the stove or in the microwave. When they're hot add cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, green onions on top and eat with tortilla chips. Yumo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Yummy. I'm so proud of you for trying the crock pot thing. :)